-

Ottawa’s Inaction Lets Smith Destroy Health Care

EDMONTON, AB--(BUSINESS WIRE)--CUPE Alberta President Raj Uppal is calling out the Liberal government in Ottawa for its inaction while the UCP dramatically expands private, patient paid health care in the province.

“It’s been almost a year since the UCP passed Bill 11, allowing wealthy patients to buy their way to the front of the line for health care services,” said Uppal. “After all that time, Minister Michel this week sent a sternly worded note to the province asking them to change direction”

“That’s it? This would be laughable if it wasn’t so dangerous.”

Uppal, a health care worker herself, said the government must use the Canada Health Act to block UCP moves to introduce cash-for-service health care.

“Danielle Smith is posting on social media that the province has the right to do anything it wants in health care. That’s a lie, but if Ottawa lets them get away with it, it doesn’t really matter, does it?”

“It’s time for the Liberal government to stick up for health care.”

-30-

clc/cope491

Contacts

Lou Arab
Communications Representative
larab@cupe.ca 780.271.2722

Canadian Union of Public Employees


Release Versions

Contacts

Lou Arab
Communications Representative
larab@cupe.ca 780.271.2722

More News From Canadian Union of Public Employees

CUPE holds solidarity rally outside Villa Marconi, amid growing pile-up in the laundry department

OTTAWA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The residents of Villa Marconi are running out of clean laundry, and it is due to negligent policy making by management. In June, members of CUPE 4793 held an information picket outside the long-term care facility on Baseline Road to call out the callous layoffs in the laundry and environmental services department. Since then, management has cut hours for union workers and begun a campaign of retaliation and harassment against union members. Workers have been sent home...

CUPE, ONA and OPSEU to rally against 101 job cuts at the Queensway-Carleton Hospital in Ottawa, as provincial hospital funding cuts hit patient care

OTTAWA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--In July, the Queensway-Carleton announced that it would be cutting 101 jobs at the hospital, including 87 nurses, seven housekeepers, and four emergency department personal care aides. The hospital is citing insufficient funding amidst rising costs of operations including drugs, salaries, and supplies. CUPE is joining forces with the Ontario Nurses’ Association (ONA) and OPSEU to hold a rally on August 19 to demand that the hospital reverse the cuts. They are also calli...

Union to hold solidarity rally outside Villa Marconi to protest job cuts, employer intimidation

OTTAWA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The residents of Villa Marconi are running out of clean laundry, and it is due to negligent policy making by management. In June, members of CUPE 4793 held an information picket outside the long-term care facility on Baseline Road to call out the callous layoffs in the laundry and environmental services department. Since then, management has cut hours for union workers and launched a campaign of retaliation and harassment against union members. Workers have been sent ho...
Back to Newsroom